Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's my best bet?

I'm planning on buying a Saturn Vue in the next few weeks...

(please don't try to pressure me into getting another car, I've done research and this car is the best for me)



I have 2 choices:



a 2003 with 32,135 miles - FWD - V6 for $12,900 and the dealership will throw in a 5 year/100,000mi warranty for $2,000 plus free oil changes, wiper blades and inspections for 2 years



or a 2006 with 29,343mi - 4 cyl. - FWD for $13,895



the 2003 seems like a good bet with the extended warranty, but I'd like some extra input
What's my best bet?
A Saturn Vue is an excellent choice. I own one that has been truly a joy to drive and completely trouble-free. However, I'd go with the 2006 over the 2003. The following are the basis for my decision:



First and foremost, the 2006 sounds like a better deal than the 2003. Double check Kelley Blue Book by entering their features/options.



Second, extended warranties lock you into using the dealer (and often have exclusions). $2,000 sounds like an inflated price. Also, what is its deductible? If you really want an extended warranty, you should be able to buy an independent, 3rd-party for the 2006.



Third, my 2004 Saturn Vue was recalled for its rear suspension. GM has made several refinements between the 2003 and the redesigned 2006 Saturn Vue. Making an great SUV even better.



Good luck with your decision, I hope this helps.
What's my best bet?
Edmunds.com was a big help in the decision making! Thanks!

Report Abuse


I would go with the 2003. For a car 3 years newer than your other option, but to be %26quot;only%26quot; a $1,000 more seems like the best deal. Go with the 2003.
Using the price guides at Edmunds.com, which I often use in my work, the 2006 is the better deal pricewise. They are offering it to you for less than the private seller price. I'd guess the high mileage has made it hard to sell. With the 2006, In two years you'll have a car that is likely to need fewer repairs than a car that is then six years old. Also Edmunds' users give the 2006 a higher rating.



It wasn't clear whether the extended warranty on the 2003 was %26quot;free%26quot; (nothing's free) or whether it would cost $2000. If it's the latter, then the pricing on the 2003 is not very attractive at all in my view.



Some people have a strong preference for a V6 over a 4 cyl. You'd want to weigh that, or perhaps keep looking.



Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment